The LSSICE applies to any kind of file or device that is downloaded to a user’s terminal equipment in order to store data that can be updated and retrieved by the entity responsible for its installation. A cookie is one of those widely used files that we will generically call cookies.
Cookies (in Spanish, cookies) are small text files sent to a browser from a web server to record user activity on a website so that this information can be retrieved later while browsing the different pages that are connected. to the server that installed them.
Cookies usually store information of a technical nature, personal preferences, content personalization, usage statistics, links to social networks, access to user accounts, etc.
Types of cookies
Next, a classification of cookies is made based on a series of categories. However, it is necessary to take into account that the same cookie may be included in more than one category.
According to the entity that manages them
- Own cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself and from which the service requested by the user is provided.
- Third-party cookies: These are those that are sent to the user’s terminal equipment from a computer or domain that is not managed by the editor, but by another entity that processes the data obtained through cookies.
In the event that cookies are installed from a computer or domain managed by the editor itself but the information collected through them is managed by a third party, they are not considered proprietary cookies.
According to the length of time they remain activated
According to the period of time that they remain activated in the terminal equipment, we can distinguish:
- Session Cookies: They are a type of cookies designed to collect and store data while the user accesses a web page. They are usually used to store information that is only interesting to keep for the provision of the service requested by the user on a single occasion (eg a list of products purchased).
- Persistent cookies: They are a type of cookie in which the data is still stored in the terminal and can be accessed and processed for a period defined by the person responsible for the cookie, and which can range from a few minutes to several years.
According to its purpose
Depending on the purpose for which the data obtained through cookies are processed, we can distinguish between:
- Technical cookies: They are those that allow the user to navigate through a web page, platform or application and use the different options or services that exist in it, such as, for example, control traffic and data communication, identify the session, access to parts of restricted access, remember the elements that make up an order, carry out the purchase process of an order, make the request for registration or participation in an event, use security elements during navigation, store content for the dissemination of videos or sound or share content through social networks.
- Personalization cookies: They are those that allow the user to access the service with some predefined general characteristics based on a series of criteria in the user’s terminal, such as the language, the type of browser through which the service is accessed, the regional configuration from where you access the service, etc.
- Analysis cookies: These are those that allow the person responsible for them to monitor and analyze the behavior of the users of the websites to which they are linked. The information collected through this type of cookie is used to measure the activity of the websites, applications or platforms and to create browsing profiles of the users of said sites, applications and platforms, in order to introduce improvements in function of the analysis of the usage data made by the users of the service.
- Advertising cookies: They are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided based on criteria such as the content edited or the frequency in which ads are shown.
- Behavioral advertising cookies: These are those that allow the management, in the most efficient way possible, of the advertising spaces that, where appropriate, the editor has included in a web page, application or platform from which the requested service is provided. These cookies store information on the behavior of users obtained through continuous observation of their browsing habits, which allows the development of a specific profile to display advertising based on it.
How to disable cookies in the main web browsers
What happens if cookies are not accepted
The rejection of cookies may prevent access to personalized content and services.